Friday, April 9, 2010

Research on the new generation

http://www.leestrobel.com/videoserver/video.php?clip=CCNT1716
Hmm, what I hear here that that young people are losing their faith in college. The presenter suggests it is a matter of the heart and I don't want to disagree with that. In fact, I think many young people want a religion that is more experiential than the traditionally is the case in Christianity. However, I think it is a matter of the head too.  Professors assume that evangelicals are yahoos, ignorant, and detrimental to society. If the clergy refuses to speak to the concerns of the educated, and often themselves have neither college education nor access to "liberal media" (as is true with my ministerial colleagues where demonstratvie worship is embraced) then it exacerbates the problem.  I appreciate the two attempts within Christian media to attempt some apologetics, but the majority of my students at the community college level would have little patience with that and may even lack the ability to follow abstruse arguments. That is how I put the picture together.

What are your thoughts on how to address this situation?  Sounds like investment in college ministries in in order.  While I see a resurgence in those at the senior universities that I follow, and an uptick at the community college level, I suspect we should do a great deal more.

No comments:

Post a Comment